Building a Simple Ammeter
Download the activity files below for a quick start or scroll down to take the online lesson format of this activity.
Please click the View this Activity button above to login/create an account or to begin.
By the end of this activity, learners will:
- Compare the different currents (1.5 volt – AA, and 9 volt battery) and the strength of the magnetic field
- Understand the correlation between the electrical current, magnetic fields and the direction of the compass needle
- Identify when the ammeter is used in the home
- Understand what happens when the connections are reversed between the ammeter and the battery
- Grades 5 - 8
- Click here for a detailed description of the curriculum connections
Length of Activity
- Internet-enabled device
- Building a Simple Ammeter Learner Worksheet
- 2 metres of enamelled magnet wire (22 gage to 28 gage)
- Orienteering compass (with clear rectangular base)
- 1.5 volt (AA) battery
- 9 volt battery
Online Lesson Format
Activity link under private class group.