Download the activity files below for a quick start or scroll down to take the online lesson format of this activity.
Please click the View this Activity button above to login/create an account or to begin.
By the end of this activity, learners will:
- Test a manufactured burglar alarm
- Choose appropriate materials to construct an alarm
- Apply knowledge about switch design to construct a burglar alarm
- Grades 5 - 8
- Click here for a detailed description of the curriculum connections
Length of Activity
- Burglar Alarm Learner Activity Instructions
- Burglar Alarm Learner Worksheet
For each learner group:
- 4 Insulated copper wires
- Wire cutters
- 2 D batteries
- 2 Battery holders
- 2 Metal paper fasteners
- 1 Clothespin
- 1 Small piece of cardboard
- 1 Buzzer
- Boxes (optional)
Online Lesson Format
Activity link under private class group.