Making and Testing Electromagnets
Download the activity files below for a quick start or scroll down to take the online lesson format of this activity.
Please click the View this Activity button above to login/create an account or to begin.
By the end of this activity, learners will:
- Describe at least two variables that can be changed to affect the strength of an electromagnet
- Construct a simple electromagnet
- Describe several applications of electromagnets in everyday life
- Describe the effect of reversing the direction of current flow through the coil on the polarity of the electromagnet
- Grades 5 - 8
- Click here for a detailed description of the curriculum connections
Length of Activity
- Internet-enabled device
- Making and Testing Electromagnets Learner Worksheet
- Magnetic compass
- 10 cm iron nail
- 30 cm plastic ruler
- 3 metres of magnet wire
- 10 paper clips
- 1 AA or C sized battery with battery holder
Online Lesson Format
Activity link under private class group.