Download the activity files below for a quick start or scroll down to take the online lesson format of this activity.
Please click the View this Activity button above to login/create an account or to begin.
By the end of this activity, learners will:
- Identify safety features of fuses
- Choose appropriate materials to construct a fuse
- Record observations about how the fuse functions
- Identify ways to improve the fuse design
- Grades 5 - 8
- Click here for a detailed description of the curriculum connections
Length of Activity
- Making Fuses Learner Activity Instructions
- Making Fuses Learner Worksheet
For each learner group:
- 5 Insulated copper wires (each is 10 to 20 cm long, ends stripped OR insulated copper wires with alligator clips on the ends. These can be purchased at Radio Shack in packs and are reasonably priced.)
- 1 Bulb
- 1 Bulb holder
- Steel wool
- 3 D Batteries
- 3 D Battery holders
Online Lesson Format
Activity link under private class group.