Download the activity files below for a quick start or scroll down to take the online lesson format of this activity.
Please click the View this Activity button above to login/create an account or to begin.
By the end of this activity, learners will:
- Be able to describe how plastic can be recycled to make consumer goods in a circular economy.
- Be able to identify innovative ways in which plastic can be used utilized to make consumer goods.
- Be able to create something useful out of recycled plastic
4. A - Waste and our World - 4–5 Recognize that human activity can lead to the production of wastes, and identify alternatives for the responsible use and disposal of materials.
7. A - Interactions and Ecosystems - 1. Investigate and describe relationships between humans and their environments, and identify related issues and scientific questions; 2. Trace and interpret the flow of energy and materials within an ecosystem; 3. Monitor a local environment, and assess the impacts of environmental factors on the growth, health and reproduction of organisms in that environment; 4. Describe the relationships among knowledge, decisions and actions in maintaining life-supporting environments
3.2.2 explore the concept of global citizenship by reflecting upon the following question for inquiry:
What are some environmental concerns that Canada and communities around the world share?
4.1.4 analyze how Albertans interact with their environment by exploring and reflecting upon the following questions and issues:
How are natural resources used by Albertans (i.e., agriculture, oil and natural gas, forests, coal)?
5.1.1 value Canada’s physical geography and natural environment:
demonstrate care and concern for the environment through their choices and actions
4.A3.2 investigate how science and technology can be used with other subject areas to address real-world problems
6.A1.3 use an engineering design process and associated skills to design, build, and test devices, models, structures, and/or systems
8.A1.3 use an engineering design process and associated skills to design, build, and test devices, models, structures, and/or systems
4.B1.3 describe some key actions taken by both industries and citizens to address the need for more sustainable use of land and resources
7.B3.2 describe ways in which people use the natural environment, including specific elements within it, to meet their needs and wants
Length of Activity
- Internet-enabled device
- Clean plastic items (bottles, containers, etc.)
- "What to do with Plastics" Backgrounder
Online Lesson Format
Activity link under private class group.