Energy Efficient Lighting
Download the activity files below for a quick start or scroll down to take the online lesson format of this activity.
Please click the View this Activity button above to login/create an account or to begin.
By the end of this activity, learners will:
- Investigate and identify bulb types and wattage, and make connections with energy use
- Calculate and think critically about energy use in a given room and resulting greenhouse gas emissions
- Extrapolate findings from potential savings in one room for a week to that of all the rooms in the building for a week, a month or even a year
- Establish opinions about the importance of conserving energy and reflect on personal strategies for sustained behaviour change
- Grades 4 - 7
- Click here for a detailed description of the curriculum connections
Length of Activity
- Internet-enabled device
- Energy and the Environment: The Impacts of Our Energy Use Backgrounder
- Worksheet 1: Collecting Baseline Data
- Worksheet 2: Taking Action to Save Energy
- Worksheet 3: Calculating Energy Savings
- A variety of bulbs – i.e., compact fluorescent, fluorescent tube, halogen, incandescent, LED
- Energy Calculator
Online Lesson Format
Activity link under private class group.