Take Action: Install Rain Barrels
Download the activity files below for a quick start or scroll down to take the online lesson format of this activity.
Please click the View this Activity button above to login/create an account or to begin.
By the end of this activity, learners will:
- Learn how to install rain barrels around their school or house
- Learn how rain barrels act as a means of diverting rainwater that may lead into possible flooding
- Grades 8 - 12
- Click here for a detailed description of the curriculum connections
Length of Activity
1.5 – 2 hours
- Rain barrels
- Downspout diversion kit
- 1 - 2 paving stones 24 x 24 inches
- 2 - 4 cinder blocks
- 1 - 3 bags of fine gravel
- Screen to cover the rain barrel
- Screw gun
- Metal cutters
- Level 2 ft or 4 ft (to ensure the base is level when placing the paving stones and cinder blocks)
- Old hose piece to connect two rain barrels, in case you are using more than 1 rain barrel
- Hose connector kit from home hardware stores to connect two or more barrels
Online Lesson Format
Activity link under private class group.